Harwich Lifeboat Station

Harwich Lifeboat Station News 2007

2nd October 2007 - 3 calls in 24 hours

Three call outs in 24 hrs kept the volunteer RNLI Inshore Lifeboat Crews busy with in a 24-hour period.

The first at 12.20 was to the yacht “ Bellatrix “ disabled with fouled propellers at Felixstowe Dip.

The yacht was freed and towed to Harwich Harbour for further assistance.

On leaving the Bellatrix at the request of Thames Coastguard the Lifeboat was diverted to the Walton Back waters to the 27 ft Sloop “ Lapa lord “ which had run aground with 1 person onboard.

On proceeding a local boat, which had also responded had now freed the vessel. The Inshore Lifeboat returned to station.

At 01.20 am The Inshore Lifeboat was again called to an unconscious male person reported adrift on a boat at the Harwich Green area, The person was quickly found. Recovered, and landed ashore to an awaiting ambulance.

15th August 2007 - Colchester Trinity Rotary Club presented a cheque

The Colchester Trinity Rotary Club presented a cheque to the Harwich RNLI Lifeboat Station on Wednesday night to the amount of £1000.00

The amount was donated from the preferred charity of the last chairman Andy Morton with the cheque being presented to coxswain Paul Smith by the present Chairman Mike Morton.

Pictured: - Colchester Rotary Members with Chairman Mike Morton and Paul Smith

26th April 2007 - St Edmunds Cub pack part

The St Edmunds Cub pack part of the 1 st / 2 nd Parkeston Scout Group (pictured) presented a cheque to the Crew of Harwich RNLI Lifeboat on Wednesday night to the amount of £79.85.

The youngest held a raffle, sold cups of tea, bric a brac and loads more for only 5p ago.

On the evening the cubs were shown videos of Lifeboats in action, shown around the Harwich Inshore Lifeboat “ Sure and Steadfast “ followed by some bafferling questions to members of the full time crew.

Harwich Lifeboat would like to express their grateful thanks to all involved.

15th April 2007 - Busy Sunday Morning

Sunday morning became a busy day for both the Harwich RNLI Lifeboats. The boats were exercising in Harwich waters with 4 Duke of Edinburgh's award students, when requested by Thames Coastguard to respond to two different incidents.

The Inshore Lifeboat was called to the river “ Ore “ along with Aldeburgh's ILB to the 34 ft yacht “Vagabond “ with two persons onboard aground on the banks, The vessel was pulled clear and escorted out of the river.

The All Weather Lifeboat was sent to the north of Harwich to meet up with Aldeburgh's all Weather Lifeboat who was towing the yacht “ Templar “ with engine problems towards Harwich. The tow was transferred to Harwich lifeboat who then proceeded into Shotley Marina.

18th March 2007 - 5 canoeists in trouble off the river Deben

At 12.26 on Sunday 18th March both Harwich RNLI Lifeboats were launched to 5 canoeists in trouble off the river Deben, Felixstowe in sever gale force 8-9 northwesterly winds with rough seas.

The Inshore lifeboat was the first on scene and located 2 of the missing 5 close to shore. Both were transferred on to the off shore lifeboat which had just arrived on scene. Whilst the ILB continues a search Patten the Alb rescued 2 more from the water. The rescue helicopter from RAF Wattisham arrived and was immediately requested to airlift two canniest from the lifeboat that were in need of urgent medical attention. The last of the 5 persons had now been located and rescued by the ILB.

Subsequently all remaining persons were brought to Harwich Lifeboat Station to an awaiting ambulance and medically checked.